The transfusion process for the safe administration of blood products has a number of important steps that need to be followed including:
- decision to transfuse and informed consent
- prescription and request for transfusion
- pretransfusion sample collection and compatibility testing
- blood collection and delivery
- monitoring and observation, and
- documentation and traceability.
Each of these steps requires high-level communication skills across the health disciplines and with the patient to ensure safe and appropriate transfusion happens consistently.
Local health services must have a policy and guideline to assist safe processes within their organisations.